Letter: Overt racism
February 9, 2018
If it's not considered racist to have a sports team named the Redskins with the image of an American Indian in full warrior regalia as their mascot, then by the same reasoning it would be acceptable to have a team named the "Blackskins" with a caricature of an African American slave picking cotton as a team emblem.
Sadly enough, for a lot of people who would agree with the preceding statement, their main concern would not be about the overt racism involved, but about whether or not the players stood for the National Anthem.
Trending In: Opinion
- First person on the scene recounts early Friday wreck that shook New Castle
- Search in Pitkin County along Crystal River for missing Delta man unsuccessful
- Crime Briefs: After speeding without a valid license, suspect leads police on foot chase
- UPDATE: EB I-70 reopened between Silt and New Castle
- Rifle High School seniors’ exit celebrated alongside principal’s departure