Letter: Take South Canyon lease to vote
March 12, 2018
The South Canyon lease should go to public vote.
In front of City Council right now is a 101-year lease with the "Beckley Group." It includes 1,849 acres of valuable city of Glenwood Springs real estate. This, in my opinion, is the equivalent of a "land exchange," an actual "land sale" if you will.
"Beckley's" pay nothing for the lease, unless he starts generating gross revenues. Who knows when that will be. Then he will pay a substantially below market value of "5 percent" of gross revenues at a later date.
Every Glenwood city property "land exchange" that I have seen between the city and a private individual has been brought to a vote of the people.
Such votes were made in 1970 and 1995.
This permanent, 101-year lease should go to the public vote as well.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Comcast outage knocks out Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Utah man suspected of firing pistol from moving vehicle in Glenwood Canyon
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Buettners’ ‘Blue Zones’ research reveals keys to longevity
- Guest Opinion: Amendment 73 will increase teacher pay