Letter: Don’t give federal land to state | PostIndependent.com

Letter: Don’t give federal land to state

As a big game hunter who (like over 90 percent of Colorado sportsmen) hunts public lands, the recent push by some elected officials and big-industry groups to transfer our federal public lands to state ownership, or to sell them off outright to private interests, is more than a little troubling.

Here in Colorado, legislation sponsored by Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg and Sen. Scott Renfroe is aimed at “transferring” our federal lands to the state. All such proposals are bad for sportsmen, bad for wildlife and bad for anyone who recreates on public lands. Transferring public lands to states would mean less hunting and fishing opportunities for the average American, because:

State lands are managed to return the highest possible yield to their school trusts. That means wildlife and recreational considerations are left off the table in many states.

In Wyoming, you are not allowed to camp on state lands. At all.

In Arizona, you can only camp on state land for 14 days per year.

In Montana, you can only camp on state land for two days before having to move.

In Colorado, only 20 percent of state lands are open to public use (access paid entirely by sportsmen through hunting license and gun sales), while the other 80 percent are leased to the highest bidder. While federal public lands are managed for multiple uses, state lands are managed for the highest yielding use/income.

You have no right to access state lands like you do federal public lands, which are owned by all Americans. Article 9 of the Colorado Constitution mandates that state lands be managed to generate revenue. Yet, the constitution mentions nothing about public access. Thus, unless the constitution is revised, recreational access on state land will remain a pay-to-play game.

In addition, 74 percent of Coloradans are opposed to the selling public lands (2014 State of the Rockies Poll). And it’s frankly a slap in the face to the 92 percent of Coloradan hunters who use our public lands.

David A. Lien

Chairman, Colorado Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User