Letter: Knowledgeable voting is critical to our future
Ferguson, Missouri, captured the headlines as a city and county out of control. What we know for sure is that the voter turnout was only 12 percent in their recent municipal election. Nationally, only 1 in 4 four voters turn out for mayoral elections in the largest cities. Knowledgeable voting is critical to our future.
Garfield County has the opportunity and obligation to vote for a number of important offices, including our local county commissioners office. It is important that you are registered to vote to play your part in this great democracy.
To register or make sure you are registered and your address is correct you can go to the Colorado secretary of state’s website. It is important to have the correct address if you are registered since ballots will be mailed starting Oct. 14.
Colorado law allows you to register to vote through Election Day. But please note that how you register to vote matters.
• If you register to vote by mail or online through http://www.govotecolorado.com at least eight days before an election conducted by your county clerk and recorder, the clerk will automatically mail you a ballot.
• If you register after the eighth day before an election conducted by your county clerk and recorder, you must visit one of the Voter Service and Polling Centers in your county to get a ballot.
• If you register to vote through a voter registration drive, your application must be submitted no later than 22 days before an election.
• You may register to vote by appearing in person at a Voter Service and Polling Center through Election Day.
• Call the county clerk and recorder if you need clarification.
Register. Learn about the candidates and issues. Vote for All the offices and issues on the ballot.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User