Letter: Volunteer in the new year
I don’t know about you but I am not big on making New Year’s resolutions. However, there is one thing that has made a huge difference in my life recently: community involvement.
Several years ago I volunteered for a couple of boards for the City of Glenwood. In the years since I have made some wonderful friends and great connections because of this participation. What an enlightening and rewarding experience this has been.
Whatever time you have, whatever your interests, there are opportunities to be involved, get to know your community and to meet some really great people. What follows is a short list of volunteer opportunities that I would encourage you to consider in 2014. Your assistance will be of great value to the community and what you get in return goes beyond words.
• City of Glenwood Springs:
Application forms may be found on the City website: cogs.us/boards/applications.htm
Airport Board: Four seats due for appointment in February.
Building Board of Appeals: Two seats due for appointment in February.
Financial Advisory Board: Two seats due for appointment in February.
Historic Preservation Commission: One opening now, four seats due for appointment in February
Parks and Recreation Commission: Two seats due for appointment in February.
Planning and Zoning Commission: Three seats due for appointment in February.
River Commission: One opening now, two seats due for appointment in February.
Transportation Commission: Two seats due for appointment in February.
Tourism Board: Two seats due for appointment in February.
Victims and Law Enforcement Board: One opening now, three seats due for appointment in February.
• Downtown Partnership: Numerous opportunities. Contact Tom Fleming at 970-319-8964 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Frontier Historical Museum, 970-945-4448 or email@example.com
• Literacy Outreach: 970-945-5282
• Advocate Safehouse: http://www.advocatesafehouse.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=60 or call 945-2632 x 107
• Valley View Hospital: 970-384-6656 or contact Michele Orton, Michele.Orton@vvh.org
• Colorado Animal Rescue (CARE): firstname.lastname@example.org
• High Country RSVP: 888-977-9220, contact Patty Daniells
• LIFT-UP: 625-4496 email@example.com
• Feed My Sheep: 970-928-8340
• Salvation Army: 970-945-6976
• Habitat for Humanity: Geneva Farr at 970-309-3088
Happy New Year!
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.