Letter: ‘Yes’ on Eagle County open space
October 12, 2018
Voters in Eagle County should vote "Yes" on Ballot Question 1A. Without raising taxes, your vote will renew and extend the existing 1.5 mill levy for 15 more years. Secure the future and preserve public access to rivers and streams, protect working farms and ranches, and preserve habitat, wetlands and scenic vistas.
Renewing early, before the current termination date, is wise because it supports long-range planning. The Program staff, citizen Advisory Board and elected Commissioners can exercise patience and perseverance in order to be opportunistic as it secures critical lands and trails that further its mission.
Early renewal was approved by the voters of Pitkin County in 1998, again in 2006 and again in 2016. Voting "Yes" on 1A will ensure that the programs in both Eagle and Pitkin counties are authorized until 2040.
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest opinion: Garfield County commissioners abandon Thompson Divide cause
- Letter: County commissioners don’t represent us
- George Will column: Reality continues to leak from American life
- Letter: A poison pen letter to poison Garfield County
- Letter: Will’s recent actions do not bode well for making sensitive decisions
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Garfield County crime briefs: Car theft, fast food, meth and undergarments
- Bundy’s escape forever a part of Garfield County history
- Roaring Fork public school teachers get pay raise
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair assaulted while canvassing