A safe and happy Halloween
Halloween is one of my favorite celebrations. The enjoyment and fun that kids have make this a great time of year. Like any other celebration, we want your children to be safe while they enjoy the costumes and trick-or-treating. Some thoughts on safety on Halloween are:
• Consider a church, community, or work sponsored event. For smaller kids, the Rifle Library will be holding their annual Halloween parade. For all kids, there will be a family fun night at the Fairgrounds on Halloween night. These parties are a great way for kids to have fun and be safe.
If your kids are going out for trick-or-treating:
• Make sure your kids have bright costumes and either a flashlight or some type of reflective material on costumes or bags.
• Avoid trick or treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
• Use sidewalks whenever possible, and look both ways before crossing the street. Kids get excited to get to the next house and can easily forget this step.
• Only visit well lit houses, and do not go inside, unless you are with a trusted adult.
• Choose face paints and makeup over masks, as they can obscure vision.
• Make sure a parent or trusted adult checks all of the treats before kids eat them.
As I said, Halloween can be great fun. The Rifle Police Department will have extra officers out to make sure we are all safe. Please say hello when you see them.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
What: Wild and Scenic Film Festival