City of Rifle no longer offers alcohol training |

City of Rifle no longer offers alcohol training

Rifle businesses that serve or sell alcohol now have to find a way to train their employees to be responsible servers, instead of relying on city staff.

The city code requires proof of such training every three years, which had been provided by City Clerk Lisa Cain and Deputy City Clerk Kristy Christensen. However, Cain said other duties have made it no longer possible to continue offering the day-long training sessions.

“As the city changes, Kristy and I have more and more responsibilities,” Cain said. “So we thought it made sense to let the private sector have a shot at it.”

Cain added the city had a similar arrangement in years past, before the clerk’s office assumed responsibility for the training.

“As the city changes, Kristy and I have more and more responsibilities. So we thought it made sense to let the private sector have a shot at it.”
Lisa Cain
Rifle city clerk

Now, qualified instructors can request city approval of a particular alcohol training seminar, Cain wrote in a news release.

“There is the TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) national program that many are familiar with,” Cain said. “So if someone is licensed and certified to teach it, they can offer it.”

Another acceptable program is called Serve Safe, she added.

At a minimum, the course must cover Colorado liquor laws, blood alcohol content, signs and symptoms of intoxication, carding (age verification) procedures, dealing with difficult patrons and manager’s policies and responsibilities.

The instructor must issue a certificate to those who successfully complete the seminar. In order to receive a certificate of completion, the person has to have actually attended the seminar and achieved a reasonable mastery of the materials presented, Cain wrote.

To be a certified instructor, that person must take at least 12 hours of instruction, score at least 70 percent on a written test, be recertified annually, keep records of certified attendees and send them to the city clerk, Cain wrote in the release.

Cain also noted that a business with a liquor license might consider having one of their employees become a qualified instructor and provide training to fellow employees.

The city will verify compliance when liquor licenses are submitted for annual renewal, Cain said.

Certified instructors who want to have their seminar considered for city approval should send a request to Cain,, or call her at 665-6405.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User