Dick G. Snyder (October 4, 1936 – June 19, 2017)
“Papa” Dick G. Snyder of Waxhaw went home to be with the Lord on Monday, June 19th. He is survived by Sandy, his loving wife and faithful companion of 61 years; his daughters, Donna (Jim) of Stewartsville, NJ; Debbie of Charlotte, NC, and Diana of Ft. Worth, TX. He was preceded in death by his daughter Danna and son Richard. Papa was blessed with a dozen grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren, but known as “Papa Dick” to many others who viewed him as a surrogate grandfather.
Dick was born in Rifle, CO, to Guy and Evelyn Snyder and lived on the family ranch until he attended Colorado State University and graduated with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in 1959. He is survived by all of his siblings; Beverly Black of Tucson, AZ; Fran (Vernon) McKee of Howard, CO; Stan (Louise) of Albany, OR; Jim Snyder of Silt, CO; and Ken (Ingela) of Elko, NV.
Dick taught high school vocational education in Sutherland, NE, and Fort Morgan, CO, before taking a job with Charles A. Bennett Text Book Company in 1966. He worked in the southern and western regions for 11 years. He then worked for Goodheart-Willcox in Tinley Park, IL, for 23 years before retirement in 2000. He was a man of incredible work ethic and has passed that trait down to his children and grandchildren as well.
Papa Dick was a man of God and love the Lord with all of his heart. This was evident to all who knew him. He loved his church, Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, and the people who worshipped with him there.
He will be missed by us all. Heaven just became a bit sweeter.
The family requests the in lieu of flowers that donations be sent to:
The Dick Snyder Memorial Scholarship Fund: Evangel University, 1111 North Glenstone, Springfield, MO 65802.
This fund provides scholarships to students from single-parent families.
A memorial service was held on Saturday, June 24th, at 2pm at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church. An online guestbook is available at http://www.heritagecares.com and provided by Heritage Funeral Home – Weddington Chapel.