Re-2 considers timeline for superintendent search | PostIndependent.com

Re-2 considers timeline for superintendent search

Ryan Hoffman
rhoffman@citizentelegram.com

Garfield Re-2 wants a complete and engaging process for identifying and hiring a new superintendent, board members said Tuesday during a work session.

The board heard from Mark DeVoti, associate executive director of the Colorado Association of School Boards (CASB), who helped outline a timeline for the superintendent search process should Re-2 decide to use CASB’s consulting services.

Under the timeline discussed Tuesday, CASB would conduct focus groups with district employees and community members in late October to gain a sense of what the community as a whole would like to see in a future superintendent.

From there, the formal application process would likely open in the end of November and close in mid January, with the district ideally announcing a decision in late winter or the spring. The timing is good, said DeVoti, who helped with the superintendent search in Montrose earlier this year.

By keeping the application process open that long, the district increases the chances of drawing a larger pool simply because of the amount of time and the timing.

If the district tried to announce a decision in the fall or early winter, some possible candidates might hesitate to apply for fear of becoming a “lame duck” for the remainder of the school year in the district they currently work for, DeVoti explained. Hiring in the spring or late in the winter allows the candidate to get through most of the school year in his or her current position.

However, even if the timing were less ideal, DeVoti said he did not foresee Re-2 having a hard time finding qualified candidates.

“It’s a really good district, in a great location. It’s a solid district,” he said. “It’s a place somebody is going to want to be … probably a lot of somebodies.”

The district has solid administrators in place to help guide Re-2 through what in all reality is a transition year, DeVoti said.

In July the board announced it had reached a separation agreement with its former superintendent, Susan Birdsey. Dave Lindenberg was named interim superintendent. Additionally, three new members will join the Re-2 board in November.

Assuming the groundwork for a search process is present, that timing also is ideal, DeVoti said. If Re-2 elects to go with CASB for the search process and the parties stick to the timeline discussed Tuesday, all the significant decisions would be left to the new board. However, it would not have to go through the minutia of drafting the process, DeVoti said.

Although Re-2 has not signed a contract with CASB, several board members Tuesday said they supported moving forward with CASB. The district already has a relationship with CASB, said Anne Guettler, board member. While DeVoti said there are several other firms that specialize in superintendent searches, Board President Chris Pearson said she did not think the board needed to consider the other choices, and none of the other members present voiced any hesitation or concerns regarding CASB.

After the work session, the board added the possibility of entering into an agreement with CASB to its meeting agenda as a discussion item. It will have to come back before the board as a governance action item for formal approval.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.