AP source: Broncos acquire safety Su’a Cravens | PostIndependent.com
YOUR AD HERE »

AP source: Broncos acquire safety Su’a Cravens

FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2016, file photo, Washington Redskins' Su'a Cravens is shown after an NFL preseason football game against Buffalo, in Landover, Md. A person with knowledge of the deal says the Denver Broncos have acquired safety Su'a Cravens from the Washington Redskins. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday, March 28, 2018, because the teams had not announced the deal. (AP Photo/Nick Wass, File)
AP | FR67404 AP

DENVER — Su’a Cravens already appears to be relishing in his change of scenery and his chance at a fresh start.

In a video posted on his Twitter account, the song “A Whole New World” from the Disney movie “Aladdin” played in the background before a smiling Cravens let out a loud “Woo!” Underneath was a caption that read: “Broncos!!!! Here I come!!”

The safety, who contemplated retirement last season, was acquired Wednesday by Denver from the Washington Redskins, a person with knowledge of the deal confirmed. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams had not announced the deal.



As part of the deal, the Broncos and Redskins flipped fourth- and fifth-round picks from this year’s draft. In addition, Denver sends a fifth-rounder to Washington — also from this year — and a conditional sixth-round pick in 2020.

Cravens was a second-round pick by Washington in 2016 following a standout career at Southern California. He played 11 games his rookie season, with one sack and an interception. Expected to be a starter last season, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Cravens was sidelined last August following knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus.



Soon after, things began to grow more complicated. Cravens had to be talked out of retiring in early September during a meeting with team President Bruce Allen. Later, the 22-year-old was placed on the reserve/left squad list.

His then-agent announced in December that Cravens had been cleared to resume football activities and planned to play next season. Fadde Mikhail said in a statement then that Cravens suffered from post-concussion syndrome, was cleared Dec. 7 and no longer has symptoms.

Along with his video, Cravens also posted on his social media account : “I was a Bronco back in my high school days. I guess some things never change.” And this: “Pack your bag kids [we’re] going snowboarding.”

He joins a Broncos defensive backfield that includes safeties Darian Stewart, Justin Simmons, Will Parks and Jamal Carter.

The Broncos are making big changes this offseason on the heels of a 5-11 season. They recently added quarterback Case Keenum, who led the Minnesota Vikings to the NFC championship game. Keenum signed a two-year, $36 million deal that includes $25 million in guarantees.

Denver also traded elite cornerback Aqib Talib to the Los Angeles Rams and dealt quarterback Trevor Siemian to the Vikings.

The Broncos have the fifth overall pick in the upcoming draft, which they could very well use to pick up another quarterback.

———

For more NFL coverage: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP—NFL


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User