Barracudas finish sixth at Montrose Swim Meet
November 27, 2015
The Team Sopris Barracudas swimming team took fifth place (1,065 points) among 10 teams at the Montrose Marlin Fall Open Swim Meet, Nov. 6 and 7, at Montrose.
The host Marlins won the meet with 2,835 points, followed closely by the Aspen Swim Club (2,114 points). Maverick Aquatics of Grand Junction secured third place (1,330 points), while Durango Swim Club edged out Team Sopris for fourth place with 1,079 points.
Kristen Davis, who competed in the open girls division, earned the Team Sopris swimmer of the meet award for her performance, recording six personal records, including new USA Swimming BB times in the 400 (5:13.47) and 800 (10:40.36) freestyles. Davis' time in the 800 was a 24-second improvement on her best time.
Davis also dropped four seconds in the 200-free (2:27.29) and 200-breast (3:06.92) and anchored the girls' runner-up 200-free and 200-medley relays in personal-record splits.
In other Team Sopris highlights from the meet at Montrose, Ari and Nadav Hahn, Kendall Knott, Sally McDonnell and Jonus Ortega completed new events for the Barracudas, while McDonnell joined Davis in achieving new USA Swimming BB time standards.
Ortega achieved a new Colorado Silver State standard, while LJ Fetzko, Laia Ogilby and Jessica Tuttle won their respective events.
Recommended Stories For You
Fetzko won the RelayBig award for her personal records in the girls 200-free (28.55) and the 200-medley (breast leg—36.92) relays.
The Barracudas compete next at their home meet, the Sopris Deep Freeze Invitational, next Saturday and Sunday at the Glenwood Springs Community Center Pool.
Trending In: Sports
- New Castle’s Jones, Glenwood’s Barth and Harden finish in top three at first-ever Sunlight Half Marathon
- Chepkoech smashes 3000m steeplechase world record by over 8s
- Three Rivers LL all-stars win 13-14 state championship
- Rifle’s Jonny Hernandez places 50th out of 3200 runners at Down Under Sports games
- Titans win five straight, take Buena Vista championship in style
- Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver
- Health, safety, staffing concerns stack up for Glenwood Springs nursing home
- Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending
- Two killed in rollover crash near Redstone ID’d as Longmont teens
- Lake Christine Fire crews working most active section Saturday, extend fireline