Boateng’s late goal lifts Rapids over Earthquakes 2-1
August 11, 2018
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Nana Boateng scored his first MLS goal in the 93rd minute to help the Colorado Rapids beat the 10-man San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 on Saturday night.
Boateng took Edgar Castillo's short pass and found some room in the penalty area before cutting back a shot that skipped though two San Jose defenders and outside the reach of the goalkeeper.
Shea Salinas was sent off in the 88th minute for throwing a reactive elbow that hit Dillon Serna in the face. Serna was given a yellow card for the instigating foul against Salinas.
Tommy Smith opened the scoring for Colorado (6-12-5) in the 24th minute, heading home Kellyn Acosta's cross that was played in after a short corner.
Magnus Eriksson converted a penalty for San Jose (3-13-7) in the 58th minute to level it at 1. Guram Kashia drew the penalty against Kortne Ford.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP ROUNDUP: Burt’s late 3 seals Glenwood’s win over Berthoud; Wiescamp’s career-high 27 points leads Coal Ridge girls over Paonia
- Area football sees 12 players earn All-State honors
- PREP ROUNDUP: Roaring Fork girls knock off Palisade at the buzzer in OT; Glenwood boys fall by 5 to No. 2 team in the state
- Skico negotiating new Winter X Games contract with ESPN
- Demons top Huskies, Titans in home Tri-Duals
- Trust your gut: Man at center of Rifle I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Retired NHL player, Roaring Fork Valley partners reopen Electric Mountain Lodge
- Leslie’s legacy: Glenwood Springs remembers renowned visionary, colleague, friend Leslie Bethel
- Garfield County Crime Briefs: Fake name works … well, rarely
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip