Boateng’s late goal lifts Rapids over Earthquakes 2-1
August 11, 2018
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Nana Boateng scored his first MLS goal in the 93rd minute to help the Colorado Rapids beat the 10-man San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 on Saturday night.
Boateng took Edgar Castillo's short pass and found some room in the penalty area before cutting back a shot that skipped though two San Jose defenders and outside the reach of the goalkeeper.
Shea Salinas was sent off in the 88th minute for throwing a reactive elbow that hit Dillon Serna in the face. Serna was given a yellow card for the instigating foul against Salinas.
Tommy Smith opened the scoring for Colorado (6-12-5) in the 24th minute, heading home Kellyn Acosta's cross that was played in after a short corner.
Magnus Eriksson converted a penalty for San Jose (3-13-7) in the 58th minute to level it at 1. Guram Kashia drew the penalty against Kortne Ford.
Trending In: Sports
- Showdown with Battle Mountain has Glenwood soccer eyeing first league championship in 27 years
- Glenwood soccer comes up short in bid for league championship against Battle Mountain
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area to open Friday, Loveland Ski Area follows on Saturday
- PREP ROUNDUP: Glenwood soccer downs Rifle 7-3 in rivalry matchup; Rifle softball wins first playoff game in 15 years, sets school record for wins
- PREP ROUNDUP: Coal Ridge tops Delta on Senior Night in four sets; Rifle volleyball falls to Basalt in four sets
- Occupant in camper trailer injured, driver arrested after Highway 82 crash Monday
- New Castle Mr. T’s hardware and building supply going out of business
- Glenwood Dermatology opens on Grand Avenue
- Injury crash on Midland Avenue redirects traffic Monday
- Glenwood Springs Council clashes over proposed vacation rental moratorium