Demons lose soccer opener to Central |

Demons lose soccer opener to Central

Phil Sandoval
Grand Junction Free Press
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GRAND JUNCTION ” After a loss to a tough team there’ll be a brighter future. That’s how Glenwood Springs looks at Saturday’s 8-1 loss to Grand Junction Central.

“We probably got our toughest games in our first two matches coming in,” said first-year coach John Mount.

It doesn’t get any easier when the Demons (0-1) take the field for their home opener Tuesday with Fruita Monument at Stubler Memorial Field.

“We just have to get back to work at practice on Monday,” Mount said of Glenwood’s task of facing back-to-back Class 5A opponents followed by the league opener Sept. 8 against Moffat County.

Work that includes maintaining control of the ball for longer stretches of time.

“Our guys were simply flat,” said Mount. “On possession we didn’t seem to keep the ball for more than five passes. So we really need to work on our transition game from defense to offense.”

Maintaining offense was no problem for the host Warriors, who also defeated Rifle 6-1 last week.

“Part of it is experience,” said Central coach Larry Johnson. “This is the third year these boys have played for me, and they understand my concept of play. And just confidence. Last year we just didn’t play with any confidence, and we didn’t know how to win.”

That confidence was evident in a key moment of the first half when Demon Erick Zacarias tied the game at 1-1 on a pass from Ryan Young.

Rather than panic at the change of momentum, Warriors senior Chris Thomas tucked a ball inside the lower left corner of the net off a feed from teammate Steve Palma to break the tie.

The goal put Central ahead for good. Then Palma returned the favor by setting up a goal for a teammate.

Taking advantage of open space down the far left sideline Palma created enough space to slip a pass over to Casey Johnson, who maneuvered into the penalty area and tapped a shot past Demon goalie Kurt Hartmann’s right side for a 3-1 lead.

Central raised the score to 4-1 by halftime when Thomas scored on a penalty kick with 10 minutes left in the first half. And it didn’t take long for the Warriors to get their offense back in gear after halftime was over.

Kalher Grandbouche scored two minutes into the second half. South scored in the 51st and 68th minute. Palma added his second goal of the game for the final score with 10 minutes left.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.