Glenwood falls to Battle Mountain |

Glenwood falls to Battle Mountain

Post Independent/Kelley CoxGlenwood Springs High School's Daniel Trejo advances on Battle Mountain's Gustavo Bronfield during Tuesday night's game at Stubler Memorial Field in Glenwood. The Huskies won 4-2.

A bad bounce or a good break? It all depends on who you rooted for at Tuesday’s league soccer game between Glenwood Springs and Battle Mountain.

Demons coach Craig Plizga, whose team finished on the down side of a 4-2 outcome, called after the 73rd minute due to lightning, said it was a series of unlucky bounces.

“The game was well-played both ways. We got some lucky bounces in the first half. They got some in the second half.”

Dave Cope, whose Huskies pinned the season’s first loss on previously unbeaten Glenwood and moved into sole position of first place in the Western Slope League, said it was a matter of the team staying calm.

Glenwood’s Cory McGrath ruffled the Huskies by scoring both of the Demons’ goals for a 2-1 lead at halftime. The Demons senior netted the game’s first goal in the 6th minute, then deflected a bouncing ball past Battle Mountain keeper Josh Raurk with eight minutes left in the first half.

McGrath’s late score allowed Glenwood to reclaim the lead. Earlier, junior Gustavo Bronfield tied the game at 1-all when he poked his own rebound off the near post.

Cope said he wasn’t too concerned with the halftime score, despite trailing for the first time this season.

“We knew emotionally if we could get through the first half, things would settle down a bit. The thing we talked about was keeping our composer because our boys hadn’t been behind in a game yet.”

The Huskies didn’t stay behind long once the second half began.

“We created enough chances in the first half,” Cope said. “That’s what we said to (the players) at halftime, if you create that many chances in the second half, you’re probably going to score goals.”

It took the Huskies less than five minutes to prove their coach’s point.

Connor Drumm tied the game at 2-2 on a shot that found the far post during a tie-up of Glenwood and Battle Mountain players inside the Demons penalty area.

Battle Mountain’s third goal, which allowed them to take the lead for good, came 45 seconds afterwards.

Edgar Hernandez converted a free kick that barely avoided hitting the crossbar after a Glenwood foul, from 25 yards out.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User