Glenwood snaps the streak |

Glenwood snaps the streak

Post Independent Photo/Kara K. Pearson Rifle's Casie Dunlap (9) tries to hurdle over Glenwood defenders before getting tackled during Friday night's rivalry game. RHS won, skjd-asdlkj.

RIFLE – Joe Schreiner accomplished a lot Friday night.With one kick, the Glenwood Springs High School senior made history and changed the landscape of Class 3A Western Slope football.”The only thing I was thinking about was kicking the ball through the goal posts,” Schreiner said of his 21-yard field goal in the final minute that lifted Glenwood to a 15-14 win over No. 2-ranked Rifle.”I’ve never been happier in my life,” said Schreiner, who missed an earlier field goal and had an extra point blocked. “This is incredible.”

Equally incredible for Demon fans was waiting out the game’s final 23 seconds after Schreiner’s kick.When the buzzer finally sounded, the teary-eyed crowd of Glenwood fans who made the trip to Rifle broke loose and rushed toward any player wearing Red and White to celebrate the end of the Demons 14-year losing streak to the Bears.”Winning this game gave our players and our fans belief in themselves,” said first-year coach Rocky Whitworth. “If they continue to work hard. They will have success. Streaks like that have to end sometime, and we’re lucky enough to be here.”But, the result was hard to swallow for the Bears, who lost the first game of the year on Friday.”Glenwood has always been a tough team for us,” said Rifle coach Darrel Gorham.

The Demons toughness showed when the Bears were poised to turn the game into a romp early.Tyler Gose’s 50-yard touchdown off a punt return, followed by Jordan Robinson’s 71-yard catch-and-run off Kyle Sanderson’s pass gave Rifle a 14-0 lead eight minutes into the first quarter.Instead of caving in, Glenwood responded.Quarterback Eric Lundin hit Jeremy Christner on a 29-yard TD pass with 7:55 left in the half to pulled within eight of Rifle’s lead.In the fourth quarter, down 14-6, Schreiner missed a 37-yard field goal.

The Demon defense, which held Rifle to 52 second-half yards after allowing 202 before halftime, forced the Bears to punt after netting six yards in three running plays.Operating from midfield, Lundin needed three minutes to pull Glenwood within two points of Rifle’s lead when Pat Reardon scored from 5 yards out. With 3:11 left Glenwood advanced to the 4-yard line with 23 seconds left, setting up Schreiner’s heroics on third down.”There was no choice at that point,” Whitworth said of going for the field goal. “We felt it was time. We had good position. It felt right.”Glenwood defensive back Chris Toler, who had a key breakup of a Sanderson Hail Mary pass after Schreiner’s field goal summed up the feelings on the sideline.”We won baby,” screamed Toler. “We made history.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more