Glenwood Springs pounces on Tigers |

Glenwood Springs pounces on Tigers

Summit County Correspondent
Glenwood Springs, Colorado CO

FARMER’S KORNER, Colorado ” Rain couldn’t slow down Glenwood Springs Tuesday night against Summit High School.

Glenwood’s Sydney Van Horn outran the Summit defense twice to score both his team’s goals in a 2-0 win over the Tigers.

“His speed is phenomenal,” Glenwood head coach John Mount said. “His speed and quickness and savviness with the ball is uncanny.”

Van Horn’s speed was held off until the second half, though, by the Tigers defense. Two minutes into the half Van Horn would show it off when he received the ball by midfield and raced down the left side. Eventually he curled his way into the box, outrunning the Summit defense, and got a shot by the goalkeeper to make the score 1-0.

Four minutes late Van Horn received the ball outside the left of the box and fought through two Tiger defenders before putting another shot into the net to make it 2-0.

“He was difficult to mark all night and unfortunately Dylan (Stofflet), who was with him, has a really tight hamstring and he torted it a little bit chasing him down,” Summit head coach Justin Turri said. “(Van Horn) was a great player and tough for us to mark, luckily we had Zach (Black) out there when we had trouble and he beat the defender.”

Summit struggled offensively all night to get a clean shot on the goal. The Tigers oftentimes settled for a long pass where it hoped its forwards would outrun the Demons defenders. The team was called offsides six times, in part because of the long-ball.

“What we talked about before the game was balls on the ground and possession and we did a lot of long balls,” Turri said. “It’s not what we wanted, and we tried to coach against it, but they kept trying to go for the long ball and with slippery conditions and the wind the way it was it’s hard to make those work.”

On Summit’s few chances to score Glenwood’s defense made big plays.

In the 20th minute, the Tigers’ Kegan Zorens headed the ball from outside the box into a muddle of players that included Justin Hollenbeck, but Glenwood goalkeeper Kurt Hartmann came out and punched the ball clear.

The long ball almost worked in the 27th minute as Hunter Black outran the Glenwood defense. He was forced a little too close to the goal on the right side, though, and his angle was cut off as Hartmann made a diving stop.

The last real chance for Summit to get on the board was in the 79th minute, when Taylor Colvin had a throw-in on the left side that he sent to Hunter Black. Black took the shot, and it went off the goalie’s hands.

“(Our defense was) able to shut them down with the wet pitch,” Mount said. “Ryan Young and Danny (Weller) in the middle played the more physical play and cleared it out of the zone. Then our two freshmen defenders, Mike (McGraw) and Kevin (Hartmann), did a good job of running them down in space and containing them.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User