Grizzly Midgets pick up victories |

Grizzly Midgets pick up victories

The Grizzly Midget Minor A team split their games for a third place finish at the Running with the Bulls Hockey Tournament in Greeley, on Sunday and Monday.

The Grizzlies (15 to 16-years-old) got off to a great start against the Greeley Stampede, which was the host team. After falling behind 2-1 after two periods, the Grizzly skaters poured it on in the third period.

Dylan Cook added to his first period goal with two more third period goals for his first hat trick of the season. Team captain, Tony Bosco, also added two goals, and strong defensive play did not allow the Stampede any more scores, earning a 5-2 victory, their first victory of the season.

The Grizzlies had great control with no penalties in the game.

Grizzlies head coach, Jon Thompson, and assistant coach, Josh Pulliam, weren’t available for the tournament, so former Grizzly players and current assistant coaches, Brian King and Cody Hegland, stepped for the team.

Later in the evening, the Grizzlies took on Hyland Hills, but the long road trip and outstanding effort in the first game caught up with them and they fell 4-1. The lone goal came from Bosco in the third period. The Grizzlies were able to out-shoot Hyland Hills 23-18, a positive note on the loss.

On Monday morning, they faced the Northern Colorado Junior Eagles Midget Major team (15 to 18 year-olds). The Junior Eagles had not been scored on and had been averaging eight goals a game vs. opposing teams.

Even though the Junior Eagles bench had three more players than the entire Grizzly team, the Grizzlies started out strong. With a goal by Bosco, the first period ended knotted at 1.

The strong play of the Grizzlies continued in the second period with the Grizzlies only giving up one goal for a 2-1 Junior Eagles lead. Unfortunately, their deep bench proved too much for the Grizzlies in the third period, and the Grizzlies lost 6-1.

Two hours later, the Grizzlies faced the Greeley Stampede again in the consolation game. The Grizzlies started out with Bosco scoring just over three minutes into the game. Six minutes later, the Grizzlies were awarded a penalty shot when a Stampede player covered the puck in the crease. They took advantage as defenseman Grant Wood scored on the shot to extend the lead to 2-0.

The Stampede added a first period goal for a 2-1 Grizzly first period advantage. In the second period, Bosco increased the lead to 3-1, but the Stampede responded with a goal of their own to end the period 3-2.

The third period might have been the most interesting of the tournament. The game appeared to be set to go into overtime after the Stampede tied the game 3-3, but the Grizzlies did not back down. With only two seconds remaining in the game, Tanner Wood found the back of the net for a 4-3 Grizzly victory.

The Grizzlies had only 22 penalty minutes for the tournament, while the opposing teams averaged over 48 minutes in penalties.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User