Gwood golf places 2nd at regionals
May 5, 2017
Competing at the 4A regional tournament at Murphy Creek in Aurora on Friday, the Glenwood Springs girl's golf team placed second overall in the 4A region 4 event.
Junior Lauren Murphy placed fourth overall with a round of 82, while junior Callie Jones shot a round of 88, placing seventh in the event.
Sophomore Lisa Kelley placed eighth overall in the event with a round of 91 for the Demons, while Baylee Johnson shot a 113. However, Johnson was within 10 strokes of the cut line, so she'll be heading to the state tournament in two weeks with the rest of the Glenwood squad.
"The girls left a lot of strokes out there on and around the greens, so the next two weeks will really be focused on the short game and putting," Head Coach Clem Michel said.
After making the move to 4A from 3A last season, the Demons came up big as a team at the regional meet, earning a state tournament berth as a group for the first time under Michel.
GLENWOOD 16, EAGLE 8
Recommended Stories For You
On the road for the final game of the season, the Glenwood Springs boy's lacrosse team picked up a big win over the Eagle Valley Devils, rolling to a 16-8 decision to cap off a trying 2017 season.
For Glenwood, senior Ben Liotta found the back of the net five times in his final game in a Glenwood uniform, keying the Demon attack. Senior Sam Liotta added three goals, while senior Shane Beckley had two goals in the win.
Junior Zach Johnson came through with two goals and a game-high seven assists, while Ian Lohman added two goals for Glenwood.
In net, senior Joe Liotta came through with eight saves for the Demons.
With the win, Glenwood wraps up the 2017 season with a 4-9 record, including 2-8 in the Western Slope League.
Trending In: Sports
- Prep Roundup: Broadhurst’s career night leads Rams over Pirates; Rifle wrestling dominates Moffat County in home dual
- Rifle wrestling defeats rival Glenwood to win Rumble in the Rockies
- Coal Ridge boys start slow, drop game to Delta 62-55
- AVSC’s Kate Oldham named to U18 team for Scando Cup
- Vidakovich column: Thinking of you
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions
- Garfield County Crime Briefs: Long Island iced tea, meth and counterfeit Benjamins
- How to see the super blood wolf moon on Sunday
- Video captures moose chasing skiers Saturday at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Glenwood considering $50 street parking permits for downtown residents