Jonus Ortega’s big day qualifies him for State
February 5, 2016
Due to his individual performance, Jonus Ortega was named the Team Sopris Swimmer of the Meet at the TOPS Winter Open, Jan. 22-24 at Denver University.
Ortega raced to six personal records and made his first Colorado State Championships qualifying time, dropping 14 seconds in the 200 butterfly (2 minutes, 24 seconds and seven tenths of a second) for eighth place. Ortega also dropped six seconds in the 100 fly (1:01.45) and 67 seconds in the 1,650 free (19:54.78).
Other Team Sopris swimming highlights include: Sarah Dipangrazio achieving a new Colorado Swimming Senior State qualifying time; Dipangrazio and Ortega also recorded top-ten finishes, while Kendall Vanderhoof turned in top-three finishes.
LJ Fetzko, Hannah Stinson, Kristen Davis and Vanderhoof set a new team relay record in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:47.50, while Jessica Tuttle, Dipangrazio, Fetzko and Vanderhoof set a new team relay record in the 200 medley with a time of 1:57.10
The Barracudas compete next at the Glenwood Community Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Sopris Last Chance Invite. Spectators are welcome; admission is free.
DEMONS TIE FOR THIRD AT SUMMIT SWIM MEET
Recommended Stories For You
After coming away with a victory at Aspen High School last weekend, the Glenwood Girls traveled to Summit High School and tied for third place with the host team in the six-team high school swim meet. The Glenwood girls swam well despite competing with only 18 of the 30 girls on the team. The Demons had three girls out sick, two girls out of town and a USA swimming meet at Denver University conflicting with the Summit meet.
At the Summit meet, Kendall Knott, Carolin Spaar, Kaitlyn Vanderhoof and Jessica Tuttle finished third overall in the 200 medley relay, while Vanderhoof finished in first place in the 200 individual medley.
The highlight of the meet though for the Demons was the first place finish in the 400 freestyle relay by the team of Mae Lang Burns, Vanderhoof, Knott and Spaar.
Glenwood will host its home invitational Saturday, Jan. 30, at 10 a.m. at the Community Center.
Trending In: Sports
- New Castle’s Jones, Glenwood’s Barth and Harden finish in top three at first-ever Sunlight Half Marathon
- Chepkoech smashes 3000m steeplechase world record by over 8s
- Three Rivers LL all-stars win 13-14 state championship
- Rifle’s Jonny Hernandez places 50th out of 3200 runners at Down Under Sports games
- Titans win five straight, take Buena Vista championship in style
- Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver
- Health, safety, staffing concerns stack up for Glenwood Springs nursing home
- Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending
- Two killed in rollover crash near Redstone ID’d as Longmont teens
- Lake Christine Fire crews working most active section Saturday, extend fireline