Local Sports Briefs
Strawberry Shortcut is June 23
The 36th-annual Strawberry Shortcut will be held June 23 in downtown Glenwood Springs as part of the town’s 116th-annual Strawberry Days festival.
The race will feature at 10K and 5K race, which will start at Centennial Park in Glenwood. It will also feature a 1-mile fun run, which will begin on the corner of Ninth Street and Colorado Avenue. The 10K begins at 7 a.m., the 5K starts at 8:15 a.m. and the fun run takes place at 9:30 a.m.
A registration booth will be available the week of June 17 at the Bank of Colorado in Glenwood Springs, 901 Grand Ave. Online registration can be done at http://www.runningguru.com.
Questions/information: Joy White, 970-366-6939.
Running club forming in Rifle
The Rifle Running Club is starting, and it’s in the process of recruiting members.
The club is being formed as an outlet for runners in Rifle, Parachute, Silt and New Castle to network with each other, connect with runners in the area, and share goals and common interests.
Weekly runs will be held at 9 a.m. each Saturday, and the run site will be announced on the club’s Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/RifleRunnersClub.
Information: Stephanie Barnett, 970-274-3491, or email@example.com.
Roan Cliff races are this weekend
Registrations are now being accepted for the annual Roan Cliff Chaos mountain bike race, which will take place June 15 and 16 north of Rifle on the Bureau of Land Management’s JQS area.
The BLM-permitted race series is on desert trails with plenty of desert hazards. A cross country and hill climb race will take place. The cross country race, scheduled for 8:30 a.m. June 15, will feature a new and more challenging course than in 2012 and will span a six-mile loop through BLM land on the JQS Trail. A beginner, sport racer and expert division will be available.
The hill climb race is set for 8 a.m. June 16, and it will feature a 2,600-foot vertical climb in eight miles. Separate divisions for beginners, intermediates and advanced riders are available.
Cost is $25 for one race and $40 for two races.
Information/registration: Rifle Recreation, 970-665-6570, or http://www.rifleco.org.
Salazar signs letter of intent
Michael Salazar, a graduate of Grand Valley High School this year, has signed a letter of intent to wrestle for Northwest Kansas Technical College in Goodland, Kan.
Salazar, who won the Class 3A Western Slope Regional Tournament title this past February at 160 pounds, reached the fifth-place match at 160 pounds in the Class 3A State Championships at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Northwest Kansas is a junior college affiliated with he NJCAA.
Salazar is the son of Michael and Apryl Salazar.
Coal Ridge to host girls basketball camp
Coal Ridge High School will host the Lady Titans Summer Basketball Camp from June 17-20 at the Coal Ridge High School gymnasium.
The camp will be from 10 a.m. to noon each day for girls entering third through eighth grades. Campers are asked to wear a T-shirt and shorts with appropriate shoes and bring a water bottle.
The camp is designed to give participants an opportunity to work on and develop basketball skills. Campers will receive instruction from current Coal Ridge coaches and players. Participants will be placed into groups according to their age and ability.
Cost is $60 per player, and registrations can be mailed or dropped off at Coal Ridge High School, 35947 Highway 6, New Castle, CO 81647. Mail-in registrations will be accepted through June 1, and walk-up registrations are welcomed.
Information: Damon Martinez, 970-948-8037, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top-three finishers at Emily Johnson soccer tournament announced
Top-three results from the Emily Johnson Play It Forward 3-on-3 Soccer Tournament were announced on Monday morning. Results were as follows:
1. Roaring Rapids: Dominic Centeno, Jack Price, Karsen Jaramillo-DuBois, Joshua Hernandez, Shayne Sandblom.
2. Kicken Chickens: Ethan Stickler, Fabricio Gorea, James Webber, Julian Davis, Kelan Frees.
3. The Foxes: Foster Hayes, Jacob Barlow, Ari Chacos, Cooper Chacos, Josh Hernandez, Ross Barlow.
1. Pride: Adrian Hernandez, Kade Frees, Trace Apostolik, Ismael Nunez, Landon Skickler, Colby Hoffman.
2. Blue Angel: Tawny Roberts, Hanna Starkey, Alyssa Sanders, Mariany Jaracuaro, Sadie Miller.
3. DC Force B: Beki Atchley, Cami Baldozier, Missa Webb, Brieanna McGovern, Remi Baldwin, Itzel Bojorquez.
U14 Boys Bracket:
1. Balls of Fury: Raul Hinojos, Isaac Hinojos, Alex Ortiz, Luis Galavize, Carlos Ponce, Gabriel Davis.
2. No Limits: Alec Cokley, Marcus Amaya, Jordy Serna, Gabe Saurez, Cameron Gallipo.
3. DC Strikers: Isaac Fuller, Scott DaCosta, Joseph Holiman, Ian Downey, Nathan Sanders, Cohen Quist.
U14 Girls Bracket:
1. Junior Titans: Kaitlyn Harlow, Paige Harlow, Nicole Mooney, Dana Kotz, Mikayla Neidlinger.
2. The Avengers: Maddie Bolitho, Jenny Pena, Jessica Feese, Sam Dunn, Hailey Hoffman, Tana Martinez.
3. DC Force: Nacona Baldwin, Jackie Sandoval, Jade Gummo, Kennedy Godwin, Callie Wasser, Mariah Griffith.
Adult Co-ed Recreation Bracket:
1. El Fuego: Brittany Young, Dakotah Snode, Graham Leavitt, Chaz Apostolik, Julian Ramos, Brandon Gry.
2. The Combover: Fernando Alverado, Tanner Horsey, Sidney Horsey, Senior Alverado, Eric Schmitz, Oscar Diaz.
3. Straight outta Craig: Allie Ehlers, Brenna Cieso, Delaney Baker, Nestor Arellano, Allan Flores, Bryant Cox .
Adult Co-Ed Competitive Bracket:
1. Blue Crew: Graham Riddile, Amanda Wenzel, Paige Ryan, Tias Dacuma, Jorge Hernandez, Edgar Enriquez.
2. Team Colorado: Ryan Zelenka, Hope Whitman, Ashley Oddo, Darwin Cortez, Julio Aguirre.
3. Keep Calm: Brianna Rhodes, Kourtney Mitchell, Tracy Pihl, Nick Kneedler, Kevin Hartmann, Erica Ruiz.
Uniform Contest Winners:
Youth — Green Machine: Morgan Holmes, Whitney Carbano, McKayla Holmes, Bianca Sommers, Libby Tharp.
Adult — Senior Silties: Katie Cox, Rachel Becker, Shanna Fix, Natasha Ehlers, Michael Pfaff, Kelly Corey.
Fall 2013 youth soccer league forming
The Western Slope Soccer League is forming a multiple-aged youth league for the fall of 2013.
Registration is taking place for all ages and ends June 28 at Rifle Recreation. Games will be played on weekends and will take place throughout the Roaring Fork Valley.
Cost is $70 for under-10 players, $75 for under-12 players, $80 for under-14 players and $90 for under-18 players.
Information/registration: http://www.rifleco.org, or 970-665-6570.
Junior team tennis league forming
The Colorado Roaring Fork Junior Team Tennis League is in the process of forming in the Roaring Fork Valley.
The league will provide players ages 18 and under the opportunity for organized team play on a regular schedule. Local facilities around the area will host the matches, which will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. each Thursday beginning June 20.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User