Local Sports Briefs
RIVERSIDE’S PARKER WINS MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE XC CHAMPIONSHIP
Riverside Middle School eighth-grader Tyler Parker nabbed a two-second victory over Lake County’s Matt Cairns, claiming the middle school state championship in cross country. Parker took the state title with a 12 minutes, 35 seconds, just ahead of Cairns, who finished in 12:37.
Parker ran cross country this season at Riverside Middle School in New Castle, and had three second-place finishes, a third-place finish, and two fourth- place finishes at cross country meets. Parker will be competing for Coal Ridge High School next year. He also is involved in band, and is an honor student.
Aside from Parker, Glenwood Springs Middle School’s Sophia Connerton-Nevin placed 67th in the Blue Division Girls race, clocking a time of 15:18.70.
CARDINALS NAME NEW GIRLS BASKETBALL COACH
Grand Valley High School announced Wednesday that Isaac Pittman has been hired to serve as the new varsity head girls basketball coach and program director for the 2018-19 season.
“We are excited to have Coach Pittman in this position and are excited to see continued growth within our basketball program,” Grand Valley Athletic Director David Walck said.
A graduate of the Utah State University and a Bureau of Land Management employee, Pittman has been coaching basketball for the last eight years with the last four serving as the JV coach of the Grand Valley Girls program.
“I am excited and grateful for the opportunity that GVHS has given me to be the new head girls basketball coach,” Pittman said. “The girls basketball program will be guided by the pillars of personal wellness, agency, intellectual development and productive citizenship. I’d like to thank my loving wife, Liz Pittman, and my family for supporting me on this adventure.”
“Coach Pittman has been involved at all levels of coaching girls basketball here in Parachute. We look forward to the building of our girls basketball program at GVHS,” Grand Valley Principal Ryan Frink said.
C-TEAM GRAND VALLEY BASKETBALL COACHING POSITION
Grand Valley High School is seeking applications of candidates for assistant girls’ basketball coach for Winter 2018-19. This is a part-time, seasonal, salaried position (dependent on participation numbers) located in Parachute. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
1. Effective professionalism and management of the girls’ basketball program, which would include but not be limited to: scheduling, planning, organizing, in-season and off-season training, budgeting, safety and promoting the girls basketball, Grand Valley Activities Department and CHSAA.
2. Demonstrate productive and positive coaching strategies, skills and knowledge of basketball/fitness/training.
3. Establish solid communication and build quality relationships with student participants, parents and the community in general.
4. To assist the student athlete in the areas of academic excellence and eligibility and provide an atmosphere of personal growth.
5. A genuine commitment to Grand Valley High School philosophies, students, staff and surrounding community.
6. Create and support program purpose in participant intellectual development, agency, productive citizenship and personal wellness
1. One to three years of coaching experience.
2. Skills related to coaching, teaching, recruiting and mentoring athletes.
3. Knowledge of CHSAA rules and regulations.
4. Knowledge and management of sports related injuries.
5. Teaching credentials preferred.
1. Must possess or gain CHSAA coaching certification.
2. Must have a current First Aid/CPR/AED certification based on district policy.
3. Must have concussion certification from the NFHS.
4. Must complete school district small vehicle training.
5. Must complete the CHSAA test with 100 percent accuracy.
Application process: Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and references to http://www.garfield16.org. Click on the employment link and fill out necessary steps to complete application. Applications will be accepted until Oct. 26. Starting date for the position is November 2018.
11TH ANNUAL FISH HATCHERY 5K RUN/WALK
The 11th annual Fish Hatchery 5k Run/Walk will take place Saturday, Nov. 3, at 10 a.m. in West Glenwood.
The scenic course takes runners along Mitchell Creek Road above the Glenwood Fish Hatchery on paved and dirt roads before a downhill sprint to the finish on Donegan Road. The entry fee is $10, with all proceeds going to help local animal shelters and the Pauline S. Schneegas Wildlife Foundation in Silt. Race day registration begins at 9 a.m. at the starting area on Donegan Road, one block west of the Two Rivers Community School. Halloween attire is encouraged. For further information, call 970-945-0979.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.