Local Sports Briefs: Team Sopris trio fares well at Zones meet
August 18, 2015
Three Team Sopris athletes competed in the Western Region Senior Zones meet in Clovis, California, July 29 through August 2. The three swimmers — each of whom swim of Glenwood Springs High School's girls swimming team, were among a meet that meet drew 1,150 swimmers from 17 western states.
Jessica Tuttle qualified for finals in the 200-meter butterfly, finishing in 30th place with a time of 2 minutes, 29.07 seconds. Kendall Vanderhoof broke a decade-old team record with her 2:13.03 in the 200-meter freestyle. Hannah Stinson swam three personal records during the week-long event, including breaking the 30-second barrier in the 50-meter free with a time of 29.67.
Team Sopris will compete next in the Durango Fall Invitational, which is scheduled for Sept. 26 and 27.
Fall sports meeting set for Wednesday at GSHS
Glenwood Springs High School will hold its fall sports preseason meeting on Wednesday.
Recommended Stories For You
The meeting will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. inside of Chavez/Spencer Gymnasium on the high school's campus. All parents of student athletes who will be participating in fall sports are asked to attend.
Information: Athletic Director Craig Denney, 970-384-5555.
Coal Ridge booster club meeting on Wednesday
Coal Ridge High School will hold a meeting for its booster club on Wednesday.
The meeting will take place from 6:30 to 7;30 p.m. in the commons area of Coal Ridge High School. All current members, along with those interested in becoming involved with the school's booster club, are encouraged to attend.
Information; Julie Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Girls soccer, baseball coaches needed at GVHS
Grand Valley High School is seeking coaches for the 2016 spring sports season.
The school is seeking head coaches for its girls soccer and baseball teams. Interested candidates can find more information about the job on the Garfield School District 16 Website at http://www.garfield16.org, or by calling GVHS Athletic Director David Walck at 970-456-7171.
Glenwood to host annual youth football camp
Glenwood Springs High School's football team will host its annual Glenwood Youth Football Camp, which is scheduled for Aug. 18-20 at Stubler Memorial Field in Glenwood Springs.
Two camps will be available: a non-contact camp for boys and girls in third through eighth grade and a separate contact camp for boys in seventh and eighth grade.
The camps will take place from 4:45-6:30 p.m. each day at Glenwood Springs High.
Each camp will be instructed by the Glenwood Springs High coaching staff and its players. Cost is $30, and each participant receives a camp T-shirt.
Trending In: Sports
- New Castle’s Jones, Glenwood’s Barth and Harden finish in top three at first-ever Sunlight Half Marathon
- Chepkoech smashes 3000m steeplechase world record by over 8s
- Three Rivers LL all-stars win 13-14 state championship
- Rifle’s Jonny Hernandez places 50th out of 3200 runners at Down Under Sports games
- Titans win five straight, take Buena Vista championship in style
- Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver
- Health, safety, staffing concerns stack up for Glenwood Springs nursing home
- Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending
- Two killed in rollover crash near Redstone ID’d as Longmont teens
- Lake Christine Fire crews working most active section Saturday, extend fireline