On to Friday night semifinals for Glenwood’s Wilson, Grand Valley’s Grice in 3A state wrestling championships
Two area wrestlers have advanced to Friday night’s championship semifinal round after this morning’s action at the 3A Colorado High School Wrestling Championships, taking place at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
Amos Wilson of Glenwood Springs, wrestling at 182 pounds, won his quarterfinal match by a 5-4 decision over Braden Baumgartner of Weld Central. Next up for the semifinal match will be Brian Paxton of Fort Morgan.
Also advancing in the championship bracket this morning was Grand Valley heavyweight Hayden Grice. He pinned Carlos Flores of Alameda in 4 minutes, 38 seconds in the quarterfinal match. Next up for Grice will be Emanuel Munoz-Alcala of University in tonight’s semifinals.
The winners of those two matches will wrestle for the 3A state championship in their respective weights on Saturday night.
Support Local Journalism
Still alive among area wrestlers in the consolation bracket, with a shot at third–fifth place, are Cauy Smith (126), Talon Cordova (132), Dillon Tiffany (160) and Alex Guardado (195) from Rifle; Conrad Demann (152) of Grand Valley; and Ruben Samuelson (170) and Ernesto Lopez (285) of Basalt.
Bowing out of the tournament after the Friday morning matches were Erik Krauth of Glenwood Springs, Hunter Bercher, Bryce Rowley and Alejandro Robles of Rifle, and Hector De la Cruz of Grand Valley.
Other Friday morning results:
- 106: Will Moneypenny (Berthoud) pinned Bercher (Rifle), 0:45
- 126: Matthew Villarreal (Weld Central) pinned Smith (Rifle) in 5:22; next up – vs. Trevor Maestas (Alamosa)
- 132: Cordova (Rifle) over Brendan Jones (Fort Morgan), 11-7; next up – vs. Noah Damian (Valley)
- 138: Jose Campos (Jefferson) over Krauth (Glenwood Springs), 3-2; Matt Pecina (Fort Morgan) over Rowley (Rifle), 4-2
- 152: John Sumner (Mullen) over Demann, 6-4; next up – vs. Kolton Robertson (Weld Central)
- 160: Tiffany (Rifle) over Adam Gamer (Woodland Park), 11-6; next up – vs. Dustin Clark (Pagosa Springs)
- 170: Cole Gray (Woodland Park) pinned Samuelson (Basalt) in 3:08; next up – vs. Koby Ullery (Elizabeth)
- 195: Guardado (Rifle) pinned Tanner Eide (Classical Academy) in 1:55; next up – vs. Casey Harvey (Bennett)
- 285: Tanner True (Eaton) pinned Lopez (Basalt) in 4:57; next up – vs. Kyle Good (James Erwin); Kane Fobare (Weld Central) over Robles (Rifle), 8-4
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.