Outdoor News and Notes | PostIndependent.com

Outdoor News and Notes

On Sunday, Sept. 3, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., the Marble Historical Society will lead walking tours to view the historic marble quarry in Marble from outside the upper portals. Learn about the geology and history of this important working quarry from quarry staff and members of the MHS Board. Come to the Marble Museum at 412 Main St. for directions to the quarry and to purchase tickets. Tours will run continuously. The cost is $15 per person and will be considered a tax deductible donation to the MHS.

Climbing Magazine presents the Reel Rock Film Tour as a benefit for the HERA Women’s Cancer Foundation, a volunteer organization dedicated to raising money and awareness for ovarian cancer research and awareness programs.The Sept. 7 event will be hosted by Carbondale’s Crystal Theatre, with a pre-event wine tasting and appetizers at Grana Cafe from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The show will launch the world premier of two groundbreaking new climbing films by the top producers in the industry: “Dosage Volume IV,” by Josh Lowell, and “First Ascent,” by Peter Mortimer. All the proceeds will go to the HERA Foundation; tickets are $25 and can be purchased at Climbing Magazine; call 963-9449 for more information. A silent auction/raffle to benefit the HERA Foundation will precede the film premiers.

Anglers who buy a one-day fishing license in Colorado and who plan to fish at a state wildlife area are reminded that they must also obtain a wildlife habitat stamp. The Colorado habitat stamp program is new in 2006. Income from the stamp will be used to protect and improve wildlife habitat throughout the state.A habitat stamp is needed by anyone 19 to 64 years old who enters a state wildlife area. Anglers who bring family members to a state wildlife area must be sure to purchase the needed stamps. The cost of a stamp is $10.25 when purchased alone and includes the Colorado search and rescue fee.The habitat stamp is not needed, however, if an angler fishes waters that are not located on a state wildlife area. Anglers should know where they are going to fish before buying the one-day license to determine if they will be entering a state wildlife area.For more information, go to the Colorado Division of Wildlife web site at http://wildlife.state.co.us.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User