Colorado hunting licenses on sale for bear, elk and deer |

Colorado hunting licenses on sale for bear, elk and deer

A bull elk in summer velvet. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is now selling over-the-counter and over-the-counter with caps licenses for the upcoming hunting season.
Michael Seraphin / Colorado Parks and Wildlife |

2015 big game dates

Elk (limited) and deer (unlimited)

Archery — Aug. 29 to Sept. 27

Muzzleloader — Sept. 12-20

First rifle — Oct. 10-14

Second rifle — Oct. 17-25

Third rifle — Oct. 31 to Nov. 8

Fourth rifle — Nov. 11-15

Bear (limited)

Archery — Sept. 2-30

Muzzleloader — Sept. 12-20

First rifle — Oct. 10-14

Second rifle — Oct. 17-25

Third rifle — Oct. 31 to Nov. 8

Fourth rifle — Nov. 11-15

Moose (unlimited)

Archery — Sept. 12-27

Muzzleloader — Sept. 12-20

Rifle — Oct. 1-14

Whitetail deer licenses are available in person only. Purchase your license at the CPW office in Glenwood Springs or at local vendors, including Walmart, City Market and sporting goods suppliers. You can also buy online at or by calling 1-800-244-5613.

The hunting season is nearly here, but first, it’s time to apply for a license.

On July 21, Colorado Parks and Wildlife launched sales of over-the-counter (OTC) and OTC with caps licenses for the upcoming hunting season.

The season begins in late August for archers and continues through mid-November, with licenses now available for all big game — including elk, bear, and deer.

“A valid license is an important step in planning your hunt this and every year in Colorado,” said Henrietta Turner, CPW’s license manager, in a release from the office. “A familiarity with CPW’s hunting regulations and brochures goes a long way to ensure you can hunt with the right tag for the right location where you choose to hunt.”


OTC with caps licenses for bear and elk are limited in number and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. The CPW processing system encountered issues early on July 21, but officials quickly ironed out the kinks, and sales are again available over the phone, through the CPW website and at local vendors like Wal-Mart and City Market.

A complete list of OTC with caps licenses can be found in the CPW’s 2015 Big Game Brochure, found online and at local vendors. Officials urge hunters to read all license regulations, particularly the season restrictions for bear licenses.

An OTC with caps list with quotas is now available online.

As the name says, regular OTC licenses are unlimited in number and available in a range of units and seasons. CPW provides unlimited OTC licenses for cow and either-sex elk in the archery season, bull elk in the second and third rifle seasons, either-sex elk on the plains, either-sex pronghorn and doe for the archery season and either-sex whitetail deer.

While there is no restriction on the number of available OTC licenses this season, these licenses are restricted to certain units and manners of take.

For more information, again see the maps in the Big Game Brochure.

The unlimited OTC licenses are listed in the online system without a hunt code. You can also request one asking for the specific OTC license over the phone or in person.

Leftover limited licenses and OTC turkey licenses will go on sale over the phone and in person beginning Aug. 4.

They are available online Aug. 5.

Leftover limited licenses are licenses that have gone through the draw process and still have quota remaining. The list of available leftover licenses will be posted online by July 28.

Know before you go

Hunting licenses of all varieties have several requirements, including a current photo ID (A drivers license is recommended), proof of residency and social security number.

Bring original copies of all materials when applying in person.

Applicants must also have a current hunter education card, unless the hunter was born before Jan. 1, 1949.

When applying online, be ready to enter all information found on the hunter education card, including the state where it was issued.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User