PREP ROUNDUP: Coal Ridge volleyball sweeps Basalt in 3A WSL tilt; Glenwood soccers draws with Battle Mountain, Coal Ridge soccer falls to Mullen
September 20, 2018
On the road Thursday evening in Basalt for a 3A Western Slope League matchup with the Longhorns, the Coal Ridge Titans girls volleyball team rolled to a three-set sweep of the Longhorns by identical scores of 25-11.
The win gives Coal Ridge its third win in the 3A Western Slope League, keeping the Titans undefeated in league play.
Against the Longhorns, senior Kenzie Crawford recorded 29 assists and 5 aces, while senior Kara Morgan added 13 kills and 2 aces. Sophomore Taylor Wiescamp chipped in with 9 kills and 2 blocks.
The win over the Longhorns gets the Titans back on track after a four-set loss on the road Tuesday at Vail Mountain.
Coal Ridge (7-4, 3-0 3A WSL) hosts Olathe Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. in New Castle.
Recommended Stories For You
Glenwood Springs 2, Battle Mountain 2
Thursday's rivalry matchup between the Glenwood Springs Demons and the Battle Mountain Huskies boys soccer teams in Edwards went down to the wire, ending in a 2-2 draw after two overtime periods. Glenwood held a late 2-1 lead in regulation before Battle Mountain scored with 50 seconds remaining, forcing overtime.
German Alvarado scored both goals for the Demons as Leo Mireles and Angel Bernal assisted on the goals. In net, Carlos Guardado recorded 25 saves.
The draw against Battle Mountain snaps Glenwood's seven-game losing streak against the Huskies, dating back to 2014.
Glenwood (4-3-1, 3-1-1 4A Western Slope League) travels to Steamboat Springs next Tuesday for a 4A Western Slope League tilt. The Demons lost to Steamboat Springs 3-2 on Aug. 30 at home.
Mullen 5, Coal Ridge 0
Taking on a stout 5A team on the road Thursday afternoon, the Coal Ridge Titans boys soccer team had a rough go of things, dropping a 5-0 decision.
In the loss, sophomore goalkeeper Cody Connor made some terrific saves for the Titans, keeping Coal Ridge in the game.
The Titans (4-3-1, 0-0 3A Western Slope League) host the Basalt Longhorns Tuesday, Sept. 25, for their first league game of the season.
Trending In: Sports
- PREP ROUNDUP: Rams split with Cardinals in regular season finale; DiMarco ties Coal Ridge single-game record with 33 points in win over Moffat County
- PREP ROUNDUP: Glenwood boys win third straight league title with OT win over Palisade; Coal Ridge sweeps Eagle Valley in non-league matchup
- Former LPGA Tour Pro Lori West named Glenwood Springs girls golf head coach
- Carney Column: Elway swings and misses again with Flacco trade
- Shiffrin 1, Vlhova 1: Slalom to decide queen of ski worlds
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Garfield County crime briefs: Car theft, fast food, meth and undergarments
- Bundy’s escape forever a part of Garfield County history
- Roaring Fork public school teachers get pay raise
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair assaulted while canvassing