Roaring Fork’s early exit leads to win for Aspen |

Roaring Fork’s early exit leads to win for Aspen

Jon Maletz
Aspen Correspondent
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

ASPEN, Colorado ” Aspen assistant coach John Gillies didn’t want to lose sight of his team’s fast start Tuesday against visiting Roaring Fork.

That was difficult given the match’s abrupt ending, which left one sideline fuming and another perplexed.

With his team trailing by three goals in the 50th minute, Roaring Fork coach John Ackerman pulled his team off the turf. The move ostensibly was the result of a no call during an exchange in which a Rams player and Skiers goalkeeper Alex Owen collided while chasing down a loose ball.

“I guess they thought they weren’t getting a fair game,” referee Dario Del Piccolo said.

Ackerman declined to comment.

Skiers players and coaches struggled to make sense of the situation as they lingered on the field.

“The two collided and their player came off worse, but I really didn’t see anything that was a problem,” Gillies said. “I wasn’t moaning at the refs, so you know they must’ve been doing a good job.”

“Other teams always think we’re playing too rough,” Kyle Lusk said. “It really surprised me. I’ve never seen anything like that. I didn’t even know what was going on.”

Aspen, 4-1-1 in the 3A Western Slope League (Region 7), was hardly oblivious during a first half in which it went on the attack from the first whistle. The Skiers pushed the ball deep in Roaring Fork’s end, pressured Rams keeper Luis Medina and scored twice in the game’s first 10 minutes.

Senior forward Jesus Meza struck first when, 20 seconds into the match, he tracked down a pass from Milo Stark up the left side, then tapped the ball past a charging Medina.

Less than 10 minutes later, Skiers forward Murphy Fyrwald and Lusk managed to shake free behind the Roaring Fork defense. Fyrwald, positioned a few feet from the right post, fielded a cross from midfield, then alertly passed off to Lusk, who gathered and fired a sharp grounder into the bottom right corner.

The duo hooked up on a similar play in the waning minutes of the first, but Lusk’s apparent goal was negated by a delayed offside call.

“We knew Roaring Fork had tied and beat some teams recently, and we came out ready to play,” Lusk said. “We’ve really been working on our shooting and passing, and it paid off.”

While Aspen’s back line smothered every Rams run, the Skiers continued to surround Medina. Moments after being inserted into the lineup, Aspen’s Kevin Frazier blocked Medina’s attempted clear, collected the ball as it bounced left then scored to stretch the lead to three in the 17th minute.

“We kept wearing them down,” Gillies said. “And when one of their men beat us, we always had it covered.”

The Skiers scored three goals in the first half Saturday against Coal Ridge, but a second-half lull nearly cost them in a one-goal victory. That trend continued early in the second half Tuesday as Roaring Fork, 2-2-3 in league, controlled the midfield at the outset and Aspen seemed content to sit on its lead.

They only had to sit for 10 minutes, though, as an unusual set of circumstances led to the shortening of the game.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User