Sopris swimmers compete in ACES meet in Denver
June 7, 2013
Team Sopris, the local club swim team for kids ages 5 and up, took part in a rare outdoor, long-course (50-meter) swim meet at the ACES Open meet at Lowry Pool in Denver this past weekend.
Team Sopris coach Damon Garrison was pleased with the team's progress from its previous long-course competition in April. Most of the swimmers improved their times, and many had top-3 finishes.
"It's always good practice for us to swim outdoors and even better when it's sunny and 85 like it was in Denver this weekend," Garrison said. "Many of our swimmers will be competing in outdoor, long-course venues for their championship meets in July and August, so this was good practice for us.
"We took advantage of the great weather and had a really nice meet where the kids were supporting and cheering for each other. It was a great team event. They got a little lazy with their meet routines – not properly warming down, for example – which was evident by Sunday's performances. Every meet is a learning experience, so we'll be talking about that heading into our next meet," Garrison added.
Team Sopris will send a large contingent of swimmers to the Grand Junction Invitational prelims/finals long-course meet at Colorado Mesa University from June 14-16. The trip is a chaperoned trip with the swimmers sharing dorm rooms at the college.
"We won't be traveling as a team like this again until Senior Zones in August, and getting our team together and staying in the dorms is important for team bonding," Garrison said. "It should be a fun meet and a great mid-season test for our athletes."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- New Castle’s Jones, Glenwood’s Barth and Harden finish in top three at first-ever Sunlight Half Marathon
- Chepkoech smashes 3000m steeplechase world record by over 8s
- Three Rivers LL all-stars win 13-14 state championship
- Rifle’s Jonny Hernandez places 50th out of 3200 runners at Down Under Sports games
- Titans win five straight, take Buena Vista championship in style
- Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver
- Health, safety, staffing concerns stack up for Glenwood Springs nursing home
- Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending
- Two killed in rollover crash near Redstone ID’d as Longmont teens
- Lake Christine Fire crews working most active section Saturday, extend fireline