Wilson, 5 other area prep wrestlers advance to quarterfinals after first day of 3A state tourney
It’s on to the quarterfinals of the 3A State Wrestling Championships for Glenwood Springs High School senior Amos Wilson.
Entering as the top seed at 182 pounds at the Denver Pepsi Center, Wilson (37-4) pinned Christian Scanderett of Resurrection Christian in 1 minute, 19 seconds in opening-round action Thursday afternoon.
He moves on in the championship bracket on Friday versus Braden Baumgardner of Weld Central.
Also advancing in the championship bracket Thursday were Rifle’s Cauy Smith (126 pounds), Grand Valley’s Conrad Demann (152) and Hayden Grice (285), and Basalt’s Ruben Samuelson (170) and Ernesto Lopez (285).
- Smith (33-4) pinned Daniel Matthews of Valley in 1:15. He will face Matthew Villarreal of Weld Central on Friday.
- Demann (19-8) pinned Walker Kee of Lamar in 1:29. He faces John Summer of Mullen.
- Grice (32-11) pinned Kyle Good of James Irwin in 2:49, and now faces Carlos Flores of Alameda.
- Lopez (30-3) pinned Ryan Metzger of La Junta in 0:38, and faces Tanner True of Eaton.
- Samuelson (38-1) won by major decision, 12-3, over Randy Duran of Jefferson. He faces Cole Gray of Woodland Park on Friday.
Still wrestling Friday in the consolation bracket with a chance for third place at their respective weights are Rifle’s Hunter Bercher (106), Talon Cordova (132), Bryce Rowley (138), Dillon Tiffany (160), Alejandro Robles (285) and Alex Guardado (195); Glenwood’s Erik Krauth (138); and Grand Valley’s Hector De la Cruz (126).
In their opening-round matches:
- Bercher (23-12) was pinned in 3:12 by Matthew Medina of Eagle Valley.
- De la Cruz (30-11) dropped a 6-0 decision to Seth Marick of Sterling.
- Cordova (29-14) lost a 7-1 decision to Zane Rankin of Lamar.
- Krauth (30-13) lost a 3-1 decision to Isaiah Rios of Valley.
- Rowley lost a 6-4 decision to Talyn Massie of Berthoud.
- Tiffany lost a 8-7 decision to Cole Nading of Mullen.
- Guardado (33-14) lost a 6-4 decision to Enoc Macias-Castillo of Arvada.
- Robles was pinned by Sy Spitz of Lamar in 1:30.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The Glenwood Springs High School girls tennis No. 1 doubles team of Ella Henderson and Emily DeMoraes won two matches at the 3A State Tennis Championships in Colorado Springs before bowing out in the Saturday…