Glenwood High School teacher awarded best biology teacher in Colorado
October 21, 2018
A teacher at Glenwood Springs High School has been named the best biology teacher in Colorado by a national educators association.
The National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) selected Justin Silcox as the Outstanding Biology Teacher Award for 2017-18 in Colorado. That means he is "one of the best biology teachers in the country," the association said in its award notification letter.
"I'm honored to receive this award," Silcox said in a news release from the Roaring Fork School District. "I really appreciate the opportunity to share my passion for biology with Glenwood Springs High School students and to collaborate with colleagues at GSHS, the Roaring Fork School District, and the Colorado Association of Biology Teachers."
Silcox has taught at GSHS since 2012, and he is a Nordic skier. He brings the same level of dedication to both activities, according to GSHS Principal Paul Freeman.
"Justin brings the same intensity to teaching science as he does to competing in Nordic skiing," Freeman said in the release. "It's not possible to knock him even slightly out of his stride. He is noted for his meticulously detailed approach and his zen calm."
The NABT will honor Silcox with the other award winners at its professional development conference in San Diego in November.
Trending In: Local
- Rock Bottom Ranch goes whole hog on sustainable agriculture education
- Your Watershed Column: Wild & Scenic Film Festival stops in Glenwood, Rifle
- #PostSnaps: Check out this week’s reader-submitted photos
- Colorado Mountain College acknowledged for climate education leadership
- Dispute between RFTA, drivers’ union heading to arbitration
- Two Roaring Fork Valley men die in backcountry avalanche near Crested Butte
- Thieves who ripped off $9,000 in tools busted for trying to resell them
- Police investigating car vs. pedestrian fatality on I-70 in Glenwood
- Bundy’s escape forever a part of Garfield County history
- Victim identified in Glenwood Springs I-70 pedestrian death