Policy limiting public information on deaths and injuries at national parks raises concern of national journalist groups
The U.S. Department of Interior policy first reported by the Washington Post restricts what officials can say about deaths and injuries

Izzy Wagner/Sky-Hi News archive
Freedom of information advocates are raising concern about a U.S. Department of Interior policy that limits what staff can tell the public about deaths and serious injuries that occur at national parks.
The Society of Professional Journalists and 11 other journalist and civic organizations sent a letter to the Interior Secretary Doug Burgum on Aug. 12, asking him to reconsider the policy outlined in an internal memo, which was first reported by the Washington Post.
“This policy stifles the free flow of information, keeping pressing information about our public lands from Americans while also potentially violating public employees’ First Amendment rights,” the letter states.
The memo states that Interior Department employees may not confirm deaths and applies to “all Interior communications involving fatalities, suspected fatalities, serious injuries or emotionally sensitive incidents,” according to the Washington Post. The memo reportedly says that only “appropriate authorities” can form a death, but doesn’t specify which authorities are authorized to do so.
The Interior Department includes land management agencies including the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. In the Washington Post article, current and former National Park Service staff details how the shift in communication policies has led to delays in releasing information.
An Interior Department spokesperson responded to emailed questions with a statement.
“The narrative being presented is false and reflects a significant mischaracterization of the Department’s guidance,” the unnamed spokesperson said. “Interior remains committed to providing timely and accurate information while ensuring families are notified first.”
The spokesperson said the new Interior Department guidance was developed to create a “consistent approach to incident communications” and “is not intended to conceal fatalities or delay information.”
“We continue to provide public safety information, statements, news releases, and incident updates as appropriate, while respecting investigative processes, privacy considerations, next-of-kin notifications, and, in some cases, requests from family members not to release identifying information,” the department’s statement said.
In the letter, the Society of Professional Journalists raises concern that the National Park Service may be under-reporting deaths. A public federal database of deaths at National Parks reports only 20 deaths so far this year, compared to more than 200 deaths annually in years past.
The Society of Professional Journalists said withholding information about deaths in national parks may imperil visitors by withholding pertinent information about conditions, safety and risks. The letter also states that the policy may impede on park staffs’ First Amendment rights to speak on matters of public concern, so long as they are not purporting to represent their employer.
The letter was also signed by the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the Coalition For Women In Journalism, the Council for the Advancement of Science Writing, Demand Progress, the Freedom of the Press Foundation, Government Information Watch, Reporters Without Borders, the Society of Environmental Journalist and Women Press Freedom.
“(National Park Service) staff are the best sources of accurate, timely information about what goes on in their workplace, including when someone is injured or loses their life, but the memo clearly bars them from sharing it,” the letter states. “While there are valid concerns on releasing information about the injured and deceased prematurely or against their or their families’ wishes, these can be addressed without cutting off speech about these incidents entirely.”

Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Glenwood Springs and Garfield County make the Post Independent’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.










